The Truth About Fitness Bands and How to Use Them to Step Up Your Workouts
Imagine spending more than $100 for a fitness band and then finding out you’re gaining weight. Some people love these activity trackers, but others struggle to figure them out. Learn how to use your fitness band to reach your weight loss goals and enhance your health.
Tips for if You Struggle With Your Fitness Bands
If you and your fitness band got off to a rocky start, you can still turn things around. A few tweaks can overcome some of the most common challenges.
1. Shop around. You’ll find plenty of choices when it comes to picking a fitness accessory. Maybe you want a sporty bracelet or an inconspicuous clip on. Consider the features you’ll be using. You could even start out with a free fitness app so you’ll have a better idea of whether you want a simple tracker or a more elaborate model.
2. Deemphasize calories. Whatever your fitness band says, know that your calorie needs vary widely based on factors such as muscle mass and body size. Focus on your overall wellbeing, rather than a strict calorie count.
3. Listen to your body. Tune into what your body is trying to tell you. A sore elbow could suggest that it’s time for a day of rest instead of tennis. Some days your hamstrings will feel tight, and other days they’ll stretch easily.
4. Connect with others. Technology is exciting, but social support is also valuable. Ask a trainer at your gym about how to vary your workouts. Invite a friend to join you for a swim.
5. Pace yourself. Sustainable weight loss and fitness gains happen gradually. Set short term goals to maintain your enthusiasm for the long haul.
6. Watch for diet plateaus. It’s natural to hit a stage in your diet when it becomes more difficult to shed pounds. As long as you feel fit, give yourself a break until your body catches up with the changes you’re making.
7. Cut back on sugar. Sugar causes our bodies to produce insulin and store fat more than other kinds of calories. The same is true for simple carbohydrates, like white rice or white bread. Try eating more lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats.
8. Contact the manufacturer. Has your fitness band been recalled for defects? Some models may irritate skin or sustain water damage.
Tips for if You Love Your Fitness Bands
Maybe you’re already seeing impressive results. All you need are a few suggestions on how to make the most of your investment.
1. Live mindfully. For many, increased self-awareness is the greatest benefit of using a fitness tracking device. You may be surprised to find out how much you truly eat or how little you exercise each week.
2. Feel motivated. Monitoring your progress may encourage you to resist temptations and be more consistent. The gratification of reaching your goals will drive you to show up for yoga class even when you feel like going shopping instead.
3. Adjust your lifestyle. Frequent reminders help you form more positive habits. For example, your fitness band can even let you know the quality of your sleep.
4. Talk to your doctor. Today’s fitness bands can do so much more than the old-fashioned pedometers that just measured movement. You may be able to manage all kinds of medical conditions better by tracking your heart rate, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
Fitness bands offer valuable support while you’re working towards your health goals. Monitoring your results gives you the motivation and solid data you need to stay in shape.